EA Black Box developed the PlayStation 2 release of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 whilst EA Seattle developed the PC, Xbox, and Gamecube releases. The PlayStation 2 release offers significantly more game features compared to other releases.
The game was first released on October 1st, 2002 for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and Gamecube with an October 21, 2002 release for PC. In France, the game was marketed as Need for Speed: Poursuite Infernale 2.
A reboot to both the original Hot Pursuit and Hot Pursuit 2 was made by Criterion Games entitled - Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010).
The gameplay consists of arcade-style races and police pursuits unlike Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed. The diverse customisation options seen in the last two installments has been dropped as well as special weather effects and the day-night circle.
Now players can only change the car paint similar to the original Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.
The Championship and Hot Pursuit Mode include various types of events that are sorted into event trees. Most events in the game are manufacturer competitions.
- Be The Cop - Players can take the role of police officers and bust racers.
- Challenge - Challenge races are races that have been customized by the player.
- Championship - Similar to the Hot Pursuit mode except no pursuits take place.
- Hot Pursuit - Players compete along a specific circuit and sprint races with involvement of the police within an event tree.
- Quick Race - Players will be instantly spawned to a randomly created race.
Showcase Mode was not made available in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, although players are offered a narrated description of each vehicle.
- Circuit - Racers compete against each other with the first racer completing the set number of laps first being declared the winner.
- Knockout - A series of various races with the racer that finishes in last position being eliminated.
- Point to Point - Racers compete with each other along a set route from one point to another.
- Time Trial - The player needs to beat a set time record along a certain course.
- Tournament - Tournament is similar to Knockout except players won't be eliminated at the end of each race. Racers will instead receive points depending on their finishing position in each race. The racer with the highest score is declared the winner of the tournament.
Courses are located in differing environments and can have each of their event parameters altered before a race. Each environment features one Sprint course and two Circuit courses.
Desert (PS2 Release)
Need for Speed: GT
The PC release of the EA Seattle's release of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 was reformatted into an arcade title by Global VR and was renamed as - "Need for Speed: GT."
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 is the first title in the series to be released on the sixth console generation.
- Holden and HSV cars made their last appearance in the series in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, although rebadged variants of the Monaro were featured in some of the later titles.
- This is also the last title to feature playable police until Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010).
- Be the Cop is entitled as You're The Cop in the PlayStation 2 release.
- Hot Pursuit is entitled as Ultimate Racer in the PlayStation 2 release.
- Hot Pursuit 2 is also the last Need for Speed title in the 1st era.
- Hot Pursuit 2 is the 1st title to have an Arcade port followed by Need for Speed: Underground.
|Need for Speed Series|
|1994 - 2003|
|2004 - 2013||
Underground 2 · Underground Rivals · Most Wanted · Most Wanted 5-1-0 · Carbon · Carbon Own The City · ProStreet · Undercover · Shift · Nitro · World · Hot Pursuit (2010) · Shift 2: Unleashed · The Run · Most Wanted (2012) · Rivals
|2014 - 2020|
(1996 - 2010)
Need for Speed: Special Edition · Need for Speed II: Special Edition · Porsche Unleashed - 40 Jahre 911 · Most Wanted Black Edition · Carbon Collector's Edition · Carbon EA Downloader Edition · ProStreet Limited Edition · Shift Special Edition · Hot Pursuit (2010) Limited Edition · Hot Pursuit (2010) EA Crew Edition · Nitro-X
(2011 - 2020)
Shift 2: Unleashed Limited Edition · The Run Limited Edition · Rivals Limited Edition · Rivals Complete Edition · Need for Speed (2015) Deluxe Edition · Payback Deluxe Edition · Heat Deluxe Edition · Heat Collector's Edition