The Pre-Release period for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered, included a series of announcements, rumours, leaks, and hints of the game came to surface preceding its official reveal on October 5, 2020.
On June 22, 2020, an article published on VentureBeat by Jeff Grubb highlighted rumoured unannounced 2020 Switch releases of various Electronic Arts games, with one being a remastered re-release of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) for PC, consoles, and Switch. A related tweet by Jeff Grubb points out that the remaster is being handled by Stellar Entertainment; the studio previously behind the tenth-anniversary release of Burnout Paradise Remastered.
A release date of November 13, 2020 was leaked with an Amazon listing of the unannounced game on August 15, 2020, which would see the game's release within a week of the original game's release ten years prior. The listing also offered the game with a purchase price of £34.99 as well as being available for Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.
On September 7, 2020, a classification for the PlayStation 4 release of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered was given by GRAC (Game Rating and Administration Committee) a government video game rating board in South Korea.
On September 20, 2020, listings appeared on the website for Herní svět, a Czech video game retailer, for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One releases of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered, with both having a November 13, 2020 release date.
On October 2, 2020, the official Need for Speed Twitter account tweeted an image from Need for Speed: Heat involving a Nissan 350Z being pursued by the Palm City Police Department. The licence plate for the 350Z has the numbers "510" across it refencing both a brevity code used by police agencies to refer to speeding vehicles or street racing and the date October 5, 2020. A 510 page on the official Need for Speed website also went live with a countdown timer to 16:00 (BST) on October 5, 2020.
On October 4, 2020, a Japanese game schedule wiki tweeted details of included content for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered; with six hours of additional gameplay (including over 30 events) and new achievements/trophies, additions encompass additional paint colours for various racer cars and cross-play support. The tweet also included box art of the PlayStation 4 and Switch releases, alongside three screenshots of the game.
Twenty-four hours prior to the official announcement of the remaster, a YouTube premier was set up with the title "Need for Speed - 510" for the reveal trailer to fo live on the official Need for Speed YouTube channel at 16:00 (BST) on October 5, 2020. This follows on from the official Need for Speed Twitter account replying to itself with multiple tweets leading to x.ea.com/NFS/510 on October 3, 2020 and its use of the hashtag "#Beat510".
- Article: venturebeat.com (2020) Here are the 7 EA games coming to Nintendo Switch in the next year Available at: https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/22/here-are-the-7-ea-games-coming-to-nintendo-switch-in-the-next-year/
- Tweet: @JeffGrubb "Oh, yeah. First of all, my bad, Mike. Second, the Burnout Remastered team is doing another one but this time for Need For Speed. I think Hot Pursuit? Have they remade that yet?". Available at: https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1273769117787385856
- Article: https://www.pushsquare.com/ (2020) Rumoured Remaster of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Appears on Amazon UK Available at: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/rumoured_remaster_of_need_for_speed_hot_pursuit_appears_on_amazon_uk
- Tweet: @JeffGrubb "Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered was rated for PS4 today in Korea: https://grac.or.kr/Statistics/Popup/Pop_ReasonInfo.aspx?6d8052f8d0afd2adf7363264d299d29ea6c813a6a053e8e5ec12581d53453bb0". Available at: https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1306856666063949824
- Website: https://www.herni-svet.cz/ (2020) NEED FOR SPEED HOT PURSUIT REMASTERED (PS4) Available at: https://www.herni-svet.cz/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remastered-ps4
- Website: https://www.herni-svet.cz/ (2020) NEED FOR SPEED HOT PURSUIT REMASTERED (X1) Available at: https://www.herni-svet.cz/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remastered-x1
- Tweet: @NeedforSpeed "👀". Available at: https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/1312047185190703105
- Tweet: @NeedforSpeed "They're really onto me. How much time did it take them to get chased by 10 cops on Heat 5? This has to be on purpose.". Available at: https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/1312062285070831616
- Tweet: @NeedforSpeed "Big Joe has to be messing with me. Not sure how he found out. So much effort just to tease me, and I only wanted some pizza.". Available at: https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/1312077384288534530
- Tweet: @Renka_schedule "PS4/Switch 「Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered」 11月6日発売、税込4299円 ・全DLC収録済 ・約6時間の追加ゲームプレイ（30を超えるチャレンジ含む）、新たなアチーブメント＆車の色など、追加DLCを発売時に全て配信予定 ・クロスプラットフォーム マルチプレイ対応". Available at: https://twitter.com/Renka_schedule/status/1312548996468994048
- YouTube: Need for Speed (2020) "Need for Speed – 510". Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeRnez3di1I
- Tweet: @NeedforSpeed "5:10. How did he go so fast? Five ten. There’s got to be a way to fix this. https://youtu.be/AeRnez3di1I #Beat510". Available at: https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/1312771964965138432
- Tweet: @NeedforSpeed "For the longest time, you've tried. x.e"
"It took years to find the perfect line. a.c"
"Vain. Has it all been in vain? om"
"Every day, you chase. /nf"
"The time. Oh the time. s/"
"Every day, one bit closer. 5"
"Now is the time to take over. 10". Available at: https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/1312409589376262146