It was made available for PlayStation 2 as a boxed retail game, but was localised with an aimed release within the Japanese market.
Changes include Japanese dubbing, localised car model branding, and seven exclusive Art Factory vinyls which replace some of the Unique vinyls.
- The standard release features 23 magazines, while J features 27.
- The splash screen was changed.
- It features seven exclusive vinyls, which ended up replacing a few Unique vinyls.
- There is no online functionality.
- Website: vgcollect.com (2021) Need for Speed Underground J - EA Best Hits. Available at: https://vgcollect.com/item/144216
- Website: vgarchive.org (2008) Need for Speed Underground J (EA Best Hits). Available at: https://vgarchive.org/game/need-for-speed-underground-j-ea-best-hits-ps2-jp
- Website: redump.org (2014) Need for Speed: Underground J. Available at: http://redump.org/disc/31921/