Need for Speed: Web Racing is an online-only conversion of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit developed for web browsers by Gigawatt Studios, and made available in 2001 through a monthly $10 subscription service; EA Platinum, although a free demo was also offered. 
The game is separated into two modes; Single Player and Multiplayer. Players can customise races with opponent skill level, laps, time of day, weather, and course direction.
- Time Trial - With no opponents, players set their best lap time for the online leader board.
- One Opponent - Single race against one AI opponent.
- Seven Opponents - Single race against a full grid of AI opponents.
- Hot Pursuit - A competition between two racers against pursing police. Players also have the option to chose between playing as a racer or a cop.
In Multiplayer, players race in head-to-head competitions against up to 4 players.
11 selectable cars from the PC release of Need for Speed III were made available and grouped into three classes:
- Website: ign.com (2001) Need for Speed Web Racing Available at: https://www.ign.com/articles/2001/08/03/need-for-speed-web-racing
- Website: ea.com (2001) Need for Speed Web Racing Available at: https://web.archive.org/web/20010705220253/http://www.ea.com/worlds/games/hq_nfs00/demo/home.jsp