Need for Speed is a film adaptation based on the Need for Speed franchise that was released on March 14, 2014, and was produced by both DreamWorks Studios and Electronic Arts. Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures through its Touchstone Pictures label.
The movie is described as "a fast-paced, high-octane film rooted in the tradition of the great car culture films of the 70s while being extremely faithful to the spirit of the video game franchise".
Having served a prison sentence after being falsely convicted, street racer and mechanic Tobey Marshall (portrayed by Aaron Paul) plans his revenge.
Upon his release, he enters a cross-country race to save his garage and serve up some much deserved payback to Dino Brewster (portrayed by Dominic Cooper), the ex-business associate who betrayed him. A cunning and wealthy player in the cut-throat world of underground racing, Brewster has eyes and ears everywhere. He receives a heads-up about the clandestine mission of vengeance, and a huge bounty is placed on his ex-partner's head. However, Tobey is determined not to let anything stop him on his quest to get even, no matter how badly the odds are stacked against him.
- Tobey starts the movie driving a modified Ford Gran Torino, then switches to a custom Ford Mustang, and ending with a Koenigsegg Agera R, symbolizing the progression of the player towards more powerful cars by advancing through the career modes.
- Tobey and his crew having to work on the custom Mustang is an allusion to the series' car customisation.
- Tobey starts in the last position at Mount Kisco and DeLeon, and in the games, the player commonly starts in last position.
- The race through the country in order to reach a determined location is comparable to Need for Speed: The Run.
- Tobey is helped in his quest by a crew of friends; building a crew is a central element of Need for Speed: Carbon.
- The police intervention during the DeLeon race is very similar to the pursuits seen in Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.
- One of the film's DVD special features includes a trailer for Need for Speed: Rivals.