The Federal Cruiser is a standard issue patrol car based on the sixth generation Chevrolet Corvette.
The Chevrolet Corvette C6 is utilised by the Rockport Police Department whilst the Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 is utilised by the Palmont Police Department in Need for Speed: Carbon and the Palmont Police Department in Need for Speed: World.
There are two models of the Federal Cruiser; the standard issue model fitted with a full police package and the unmarked model.
The vehicle is a standard patrol unit used by federal agents. The unit is heavy as well as extremely resilient resulting in a reliable means of high speed pursuit against high-durability and high top speed vehicles.
The Federal Cruiser is one of the most powerful police vehicles used by law enforcement and is tuned for high speed engagement.
Federal agents driving Federal Cruiser units are trained in the following advanced driving techniques: Box, Herd, PIT, Ram, Roadblock, Rolling Roadblocks and Spike Strips. An excessively damaged or disabled unit adds a $20,000 Bounty to the rap sheet of the suspect.
The unit will appear in pursuits at Heat Level 5 in Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Need for Speed: Carbon, and Need for Speed: World.
- It can be driven in Challenge #49 of the challenge series in Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
- It can be unlocked in Need for Speed: Carbon upon completing its reward card, but only for Quick Race and multiplayer events.
- In Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the LOD0 mesh has missing disc brakes.
- In the Russian releases of Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Need for Speed: Carbon, the police dispatch incorrectly refers to this car as a Police State Cruiser.
- In Need for Speed: Most Wanted, there is Z06 branding on the seats.
- The vehicle type "player_cop_gto", during development of Need for Speed: Carbon, allowed the player to drive the Pontiac GTO State Cruiser. It was altered for the released game to reference a driveable variant of the Police Federal Cruiser for online game modes.