- 1 Games
- 1.1 Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
- 1.2 Need for Speed: High Stakes
- 1.3 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
- 1.4 Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- 1.5 Need for Speed: Carbon
- 1.6 Need for Speed: Undercover
- 1.7 Need for Speed: World
- 1.8 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
- 1.9 Need for Speed: The Run
- 1.10 Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
- 1.11 Need for Speed: Rivals
- 1.12 Need for Speed: Payback
- 1.13 Need for Speed: Heat
- 2 Trivia
- 3 Gallery
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
The first appearance of a police helicopter in Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit can be seen on Empire City hovering above two of the turns on the course. The helicopter is placed along the track purely for aesthetics and is incapable of performing any pursuit activities.
Need for Speed: High Stakes
A flying police helicopter actively participating in pursuits first appeared in the PC release of Need for Speed: High Stakes. It is capable of helping cops locate racers during Hot Pursuit races, including the use of a spotlight during nighttime.
A flyable police helicopter appears as a bonus vehicle in the PlayStation release, and is named Jailbird 2000 according to the vidwall.
It is restricted to Test Drive mode only, and can be unlocked upon arresting 10 speeders with any version of the Pursuit Lamborghini Diablo SV, or with the cheat code "Whirly", although cheat codes disable all savings of the player's progress.
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
The police helicopter in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 drops exploding barrels in a attempt to stop racers. The helicopter is also capable of dropping spike belts hidden within the barrels and firing rockets at players in the PlayStation 2 release.
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
The police helicopter appears at Heat Level 4 in Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The helicopter is capable of swooping down and blinding the player with dust whilst in open areas.
At Heat Level 5, the helicopter will try to ram the player off the road in open areas as well as keep the player in sight. The helicopter is also capable of keeping contact with the player during a pursuit at long range. The helicopter appears with a blue and white colour scheme.
The helicopter has a British aircraft registration despite the title being set in North America.
Need for Speed: Carbon
The helicopter can only be seen during cutscenes of Need for Speed: Carbon after the player is busted by the police during a pursuit.
Need for Speed: Undercover
The police helicopter in Need for Speed: Undercover will keep contact with the player if they evade pursuit units. The helicopter will attempt to disable the player by swooping down at Heat Levels 5 and 6 in the Sixth Generation console releases.
The model used in the PlayStation 3, PC, and Xbox 360 releases of the game is based on a different helicopter design compared to earlier releases, but the PlayStation 2 and Wii releases of the game feature the model present in Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Need for Speed: Carbon, although with a different texture.
Need for Speed: World
The Police Helicopter model could be found in initial released builds of Need for Speed: World, but the content associated with the mesh degenerated as later builds were released.
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
Need for Speed: The Run
A civilian helicopter owned by the Mob appears in the "Death From Above" course of Stage 7 in The Windy City in Need for Speed: The Run. It is equipped with a Gatling gun and will fire on the player in an attempt to stop them.
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
The FHPD Helicopter appeared in some early internal review builds of Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012), but was never released as part of the game.
Need for Speed: Rivals
The police helicopter can be called in by Redview County Police Department units anytime during pursuits.
The helicopter will help maintain visual contact with racers attempting to escape. The helicopter can be upgraded with a spotlight to illuminate and blind racers, as well as the ability to drop spike strips to prevent racers from escaping. Like all other Pursuit Tech in the game, the helicopter is upgraded via spending SpeedPoints.
Need for Speed: Payback
The helicopter only appears during the mission "Skyhammer."
Need for Speed: Heat
The police helicopter appears at high heat levels in Need for Speed: Heat. The helicopter is capable of keeping contact with the player during a pursuit at long range.
- The helicopter can be found in game files for the PlayStation 2 demo of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, however, it has no texture files. A similar helicopter model can be seen in a cutscene featured in the final game.
- In the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 releases of Need for Speed: Undercover, there are game file references to a second helicopter variant, although there is no mesh or texture content.
- The helicopter in Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Need for Speed: Carbon, and Need for Speed: World is evidently based on the Eurocopter Tiger, albeit with a fenestron-style tail rotor, and a shortened fuselage.
- In Need for Speed: Most Wanted, colliding with the helicopter during a pursuit counts as trading paint with a police vehicle.
- An alternative helicopter model appears in the final cutscene of Black Box's Need for Speed: Most Wanted that resembles the Bell 206 Jet Ranger. It also sounds similar to its turboshaft engine.
- In Need For Speed Undercover, the helicopter is most likely based off the Eurocopter HH-65 Dauphin, with a McDonnell Douglas 500's tail configuration.
- In Need for Speed Rivals, Need for Speed Payback, and Need for Speed Heat the helicopter is most likely based off the Eurocopter EC135.
|Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 - Vehicles|
|Racer||Aston Martin V12 Vanquish · BMW M5 · BMW Z8 · Chevrolet Corvette Z06 · Dodge Viper GTS · Ferrari 360 Modena** · Ferrari 360 Spider · Ferrari 550 Barchetta Pininfarina · Ferrari F50 · Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R · Ford TS50 · HSV Coupé GTS · Jaguar XKR · Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 VT · Lamborghini Murciélago · Lotus Elise · McLaren F1 · McLaren F1 LM · Mercedes-Benz CL 55 AMG · Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR · Opel Speedster · Porsche 911 Turbo · Porsche Carrera GT Concept · Vauxhall VX220|
|Pursuit||BMW M5 · Chevrolet Corvette Z06 · Dodge Viper GTS* · Ford Crown Victoria · Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R · Ford TS50* · HSV Coupé GTS* · Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 VT* · Lamborghini Murciélago · Porsche 911 Turbo*|
|Traffic||Ambulance · Box Truck · Bus · Coupe · Fire Truck · Hatchback · Minivan · Pickup Truck · Sedan · SUV · Taxi · Van|
|*GameCube/PC/Xbox exclusive, **PlayStation 2 exclusive|